Pioneer of the Champagne appellation, Maison Ruinart has established itself as the oldest Champagne house in the Reims region. Born in 1729, Maison Ruinart was founded Nicolas Ruinart, inspired by his uncle Dom Thierry Ruinart, a visionary Benedictine monk who acquired a taste for “sparkling wine”—soon to fall under the infamous name of Champagne. After nearly two centuries of continuous success and generations of Ruinarts contributing to the family business, the Ruinart family was even given a noble title and became Ruinart of Brimont in 1817. In the beginning, wine could only be transported in barrels which made it difficult to export to distant markets, but after the 1728 edict of Louis XV it became possible to export Champagne, and that’s when Ruinart began its adventure. The brand’s bottles, recognizable among many, was inspired by the first Champagne bottles of the 18th century.
Ruinart’s lineup includes a handful of different cuvées; Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs, Dom Ruinart Rosé, R de Ruinart Brut, and Ruinart Blanc de Blancs (all come in vintages and non-vintages).