Located in the beautiful Mediterranean region in the south of France, Provence and Corsica are also reputable for producing some of the most popular and unique wines in the world. Known for its gorgeous landscapes, vibrant culture and historical villages, Provence has known how to stand out by housing some of the best terroirs and wineries. Today, Provence is regarded as the capital for rosé winemaking, with some of its most reputable wineries such as Chateau d’Esclans, which produces some of the world’s most sought after rosé wines and Domaine de la Citadelle which produces a variety of red and white wines. Rosé, the flagship of Provence is often made using Grenache, Cinsault, Syrah and Mourvedre grapes. Corsica, another beautiful region in the south of France is quickly gaining popularity and gaining recognition for its exceptional and unique wines. Its native varietals, Vermentino and Nielluccio produce the region’s emblematic wines, the Ajaccio and Patrimonio. Corsica also produces some excellent reds like Sciacarello and Nielluccio. What type of wines are produced in Provence and Corsica? Provence produces some of the most unique and celebrated wines in the world. The most common wine style is obviously rosé. Rosé is often made using two different methods; the Saignée method, which involves a bleeding off process during the early red wine production stages in order to get that dark pink color, and the direct press method which involves a shorter maceration time resulting in a pale pink tint. Rosés from Provence are usually dry and crisp, expressing a hint of minerality alors with bright berry flavors. Along with Rosé, Provence also produces some red and white wines, however they only account for around 40% of Provence’s total wine production with the other 60% being entirely dedicated to rosé. The island of Corsica has been producing wine for centuries which can be divided into two categories: native varietal wines and international blends. The native varietal wines are made from grapes such as Vermentino, Niellucciu, Sciaccarellu, and Muscat Blanc. These tend to be on the lighter side, more fruity and floral with touches of minerality. On the other hand, international blends are made with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah, more common grape varietals. These tend to be fuller bodied, more complex, with notes of dark fruit and spices.

Recently viewed